Special Meeting August 31, 2011 Minutes

Crook, Colorado, August 31, 2011

MINUTES of a special meeting of the Board of Directors of The North Sterling Irrigation District held at the Jeanette Johnson Ranch near Crook on August 31, 2011 at 9:15 a.m.

Directors David Hernandez, Dave Breidenbach, James Aranci, and Secretary James Yahn were present.  Also present was Mark Johnson.

At 8:45 a.m. Secretary Yahn picked up Director Breidenbach in Iliff and picked up Director Aranci at his home at 9:00 a.m. The three met Director Hernandez and Mr. Johnson at Jeanette Johnson’s ranch located on the draw at the tail end of the North Sterling Outlet canal.

Mr. Yahn stated that he called the Directors together to look at the Johnson’s dam which was had a large hole near the outlet structure.  The hole was noticed by Mr. Johnson on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 after a large rain event had occurred on Monday.  Mr. Johnson took the group to the dam to examine the hole.  Mr. Johnson also showed the group the silt dam which breached approximately 25 years ago and the drop structure at the end of the outlet ditch.

Mr. Johnson thought that the district might bear some responsibility to repair the dam since it is North Sterling water which is wasted down the draw leading to the dam.  Mr. Johnson left to get to another engagement and invited the directors and secretary to stay as long as necessary.  After some discussion it was the consensus of the board that the district had spilled water down the draw long before the dam was constructed and therefore the dam was not the responsibility of the district.  Secretary Yahn was instructed to relay the board’s decision to Mr. Johnson.

Secretary Yahn brought before the board the matter of a pipeline company wanting to replace an existing pipeline that crosses over the outlet canal near headgate 34 with an underground pipeline.  Mr. Yahn instructed the pipeline company that they could perform the construction after November 1 when the irrigation season was complete.  Initially this was agreeable however it was discovered that the pipeline flow could not be interrupted after November 1.  Therefore the pipeline company asked if the construction could be done at an earlier date.  After some discussion it was the consensus of the board to allow construction after October 15th.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:30 a.m.  Mr. Yahn delivered Directors Aranci and Breidenbach back to where he had picked them up.

Respectfully Submitted,

James T. Yahn, Secretary

Posted in  

Comments are closed.